With the advent of WordPress and other free blogging platforms, setting up a blog is fairly simple. However, it can be difficult to come up with an endless list of content ideas to carry you through each week, as well as determining which topics actually serve your business.
Real estate blogs are certainly not unheard of, but they are not as common as real estate websites. A blog—especially embedded in your website—can give you an opportunity to demonstrate your local knowledge, as well as your personality. Blogging quality content can help position you as an expert in your field and your community.
Identify Your Target Audience and Your Goals
Before beginning to post to your blog, it is important to determine your goal and identify your target market. Are you trying to network with other agents and industry professionals, or are you trying to attract potential clients in your area? Each post should support your goal.
Think about what your target audience wants to read about. If you’re trying to reach local buyers and sellers, posting national price trends and other industry reports may not be the way to go. Instead, posting hyper-local information about the housing market and the community in general may attract the readers you’re seeking.
Trice Massey of Greater Kansas City Realty often posts seasonal home maintenance tips in addition to information about upcoming events she is hosting, such as home-buying seminars. Joanna Warski of Berkshire Hathaway Home Services in Coral Springs, Florida, also posts tips for homeowners, homebuyers, and home sellers. In one post, she offers tips on curb appeal, and in another she offers tips on saving on your heating bill during the winter. Think about questions clients ask or common mistakes homebuyers and sellers make, and use those as blog post topics.
Quick Tips for Blogging:
- Blog often and remember your target audience.
- Include at least one image in each post.
- Utilize video when possible.
- Promote your blog posts through social media and any email blasts or newsletters you send out.
- Read other real estate blogs and your local newspaper for topic ideas
Trouble Getting Started? Here’s some Blog Post Ideas:
- Local neighborhood information – school rankings, a list of parks, best places to eat, etc.
- Upcoming community events
- Market trends – home prices, home sales, mortgage rates, etc.
- Home buying and Selling tips
- Frequently asked questions from buyers or sellers
- Open house information
- Useful apps for home buyers
- Luxury or celebrity homes in your market
- Local charities or organizations you are involved with